Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Rooted Technology (a Meme)


With the RootsTech2012 Conference quickly approaching, Jill Ball of Geniaus started the following meme “My Rooted Technology” to share all of the technology we currently use, would like to know more about, or have no use or interest in. She has invited her readers to share their thoughts. Here is my technological profile:

Here are the rules:
·         Technology you already use: bold face type
·         Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
·         Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
·         Explain or give opinions in brackets [  ] at the end of each bullet point.

Here are my answers:
1.       I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy [I wouldn’t mind giving an iPad a spin for genealogy applications].
2.       I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device. [I downloaded them onto my first android phone, but not to the 2nd one as I was running close to going over my 2GB data plan limit.]
3.       I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media. [I am the one who brought my society to terms with social media.]
4.       I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved. [These have especially come in handy with trying to find paper trail connections to my Family Finder DNA matches.]
5.       I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos. [I would love to do more of this, but I fear it will disappear or not transfer.]
6.       I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
7.       I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research. [Both of my Grandfathers have taken the Y-DNA test and I have taken the Family Finder DNA test and I just recently purchased kits for my parents.]
8.       I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
9.       I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy.
10.   I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research. [Probably not in the way you are referring, but I have my methods ;-)]
11.   I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device.
12.   I use a genealogy database program. [Rootsmagic]
13.   I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data. [some of it is stored in the cloud – I try to keep my tree updated in Ancestry.com and I use Dropbox a lot.]
14.   I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
15.   I have attended a genealogy webinar.
16.   I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy.
17.   I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research.
18.   I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy.
19.   I have created and published a family history e-book.
20.   I have created a wiki related to my genealogy research.
21.   I have conducted a genealogy webinar as a presenter.
22.   I read genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research. [Yes, I love reading about new technologies and how people solve problems.]
23.   I have one or more genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research. [I have 3.]
24.   I have a Twitter account and use it regularly for genealogy.
25.   I have one or more genealogy-related websites which I run and administer. [Sounds like too much work! – I know the wiki is enough for me!]
26.   I have created a screencast or video related to genealogy and posted it at a video sharing site (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.).
27.   I use one or more digital tools to capture and record my family history. [I have used the video feature on my camera. I do not use my phone because I don’t know how to get them out of my phone.]

No comments:

Post a Comment