Monday, November 21, 2011

Matrimony Monday - Lou Ella Godwin to Roland A Rye



Lou Ella Godwin and Roland Rye applied for a marriage license on September 18, 1947 in Alma, Crawford County, Arkansas. Roland swore that he was 21 years of age and Lou Ella swore she was 18 years of age. They were issued a Marriage Bond the same day in the amount of $100 promising that they would follow through with their lawful marriage. Also on the same day, they were issued a Marriage License obtained in order to solemnize and publish the "banns of Matrimony." On the Marriage License, it is listed that Roland is from Alma, Crawford County, Arkansas, and Lou Ella Godwin is from Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas.

Lou Ella was involved in her husband's construction business and was the President of the Home Builder's Auxiliary in 1966. She and Roland were divorced in 1975 in Fort Smith, Sebastian County, Arkansas. Lou Ella Godwin Rye was my grand-father's sister. She died in 1988. Unfortunately, I was too young to remember her.


This is the only photo I have of Lou Ella and Roland Rye and their daughter Linda Lee. 

2 comments:

  1. Ginger,
    Did I realize you had family from Crawford Co, AR? That's where my mother and her parents were born. I have 2 ggg grandparents, 6 gg grandparents, 6 g grandparents, and 3 of my grandparents, all buried in Crawford Co. Not to mention all the aunts, uncles & cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Kay, my whole family is from Sebastian and Crawford Co., AR. They are right next to each other. My Smiths lived out there as well in Kibler where the Clear Creek State Park is. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete